Abbey House Museum
Abbey House Museum in Kirkstall, Leeds, West Yorkshire, England is housed in the gatehouse of the ruined 12th-century Kirkstall Abbey, and is a Grade II* listed building. The house is 3 miles (4.8 km) north west of Leeds city centre on the A65 road. It is part of the Leeds Museums & Galleries group.
The museum opened in July 1927. The ground floor is set out as an area of Victorian streets, illustrating a range of shops and services and including original shop fittings etc. The first street, Abbey Fold, opened in July 1954. Harewood Square opened in 1955 and Stephen Harding Gate in 1958. The museum was refurbished between 1998 and 2001 funded by National Lottery Heritage Fund.
Upstairs, the galleries feature childhood collections, community-curated displays and temporary exhibitions.
The paranormal TV programme Most Haunted visited the Abbey House Museum in the first episode of Series 19. The crew experienced apparent paranormal incidents which included knocking and a piano playing by itself.
- "Five things: Leeds Abbey House Museum, Kirkstall". Yorkshire Evening Post. 12 March 2017. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- Historic England. "Gatehouse at Kirkstall Abbey (Abbey House Folk Museum) (Grade II*) (1256646)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- "Abbey House Museum". www.leeds.gov.uk. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- "BBC - Leeds Features - Abbey House Museum". www.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- "Most Haunted - what time is it on TV? Episode 1 Series 19 cast list and preview". RadioTimes. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Abbey House Museum.|
- Official website
- BBC: Abbey House Museum tour
- Historic England. "Details from listed building database (1256646)". National Heritage List for England.
- Abbey House Museum on Leeds daily photo
|This article about a West Yorkshire building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article relating to a museum in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|